United Way Okaloosa and Walton Counties Announces Enhanced Security Features to Free Online Tax Filing Tool
MyFreeTaxes.com provides a free, safe and easy way to file state, federal taxes
United Way of Okaloosa and Walton counties today announced enhanced security features to MyFreeTaxes designed to further safeguard taxpayer information. MyFreeTaxes is a free, safe and easy way for anyone earning $64,000 or less to file state and federal taxes.
For the past eight years, United Way has partnered with H&R Block to provide free tax filing services for federal and state taxes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Since that time, the partnership has helped more than 750,000 taxpayers claim every deduction and credit they deserve. These tax breaks that lead to refunds provide important opportunities for individuals and families in Okaloosa and Walton Counties to build their financial stability.
“MyFreeTaxes helps put refund money back in the taxpayers’ pockets so that they can pay bills, cover their costs of living, and put money aside to build a more stable financial future,” said Cindy Holmes, Resource Development Director at United Way.
When it comes to security and protecting client data, H&R Block is among the industry leaders. Its online filing platform contains:
- Encryption technology that helps safeguard sensitive information
- Several layers of authentication for H&R Block account access which further protects from unauthorized access
- Secure connection established between client’s browser and H&R Block servers, encrypting any data that is passed between them to protect the privacy of that data
Eligibility and features
Taxpayers earning less than $64,000 can enter their data through MyFreeTaxes.com, which links to a secure H&R Block website, making it easy to complete their taxes from home, at work or on mobile devices. For taxpayers who need internet access, participating public computer labs are conveniently located at NWF State College in Niceville and DeFuniak Springs and Goodwill Easterseals in Fort Walton Beach. Call 2-1-1 for site schedules.
The key features of MyFreeTaxes include:
- Free, unlimited, personalized real-time chat and phone support from IRS-certified operators at 1-855-MY-TX-HELP. The helpline, with operators who speak both English and Spanish, operates from January 13 through April 18 from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm EST Monday through Friday and noon to 9:00 pm EST on Saturday
- Refund RevealTM will show filers how and why their refund amount is changing
- Advanced functionality for those working in the gig economy or need to include information regarding real estate investments, stock options or inheritance taxes
MyFreeTaxes is promoted by United Way, and users can contact their local United Way at 850-243-0315 or dial the community resource line at 2-1-1 for other local resources, or find ways to volunteer and further support their community
Locations for: Free Community Computer Labs to access MyFreeTaxes.com:
NWF State College
100 College Blvd
Building 410 Room 129
NWF State College
Building 501, Room 205
Goodwill Easter Seals Community Center
913-H Beal Pkwy
Fort Walton Beach