Flood Information

FEMA Assistance in Okaloosa / Walton Counties

Okaloosa County Press Release, May 12, 2014 – The Major Disaster Declaration for the State of Florida (FEMA-4177-DR) has been amended to include Okaloosa and Walton Counties for Individual Assistance, following the flooding on April 30, 2014.

Individuals in Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, and Walton Counties can register with FEMA the following ways:

  • Apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
  • Apply via smart phone at m.fema.gov
  • Constituents may call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact FEMA’s Congressional Affairs Division at 202-646-4500. For your reference, an updated declaration fact sheet is provided below.

State of Florida: Federal Disaster Declaration Fact Sheet

On May 6, 2014, President Obama issued a major disaster declaration for the State of Florida triggering the release of Federal funds to help people recover from the Severe Storms, Tornadoes, Straight-line Winds, and Flooding that occurred April 28 to May 6, 2014. This disaster declaration has been amended as indicated below in bold. Details of the disaster declaration and assistance programs are as follows:

Declaration Number: FEMA-4177-DR
Incident: Severe Storms, Tornado, Straight-line Winds, and Flooding
Incident Period: April 28 to May 6, 2014
Federal Coordinating Officer: Gracia B. Szczech, National FCO Program
Individual Assistance (IA): (Assistance to individuals and households):
IA-Designated Counties: Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, and Walton counties:
Hazard Mitigation (HM): (Assistance for actions taken to prevent or reduce long-term risk to life and property from natural hazards):
HM-Designated Counties: All counties in the State of Florida are eligible to apply for assistance under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.
OTHER: Additional designations may be made at a later date if requested by the State and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.


Debris removal has ceased in Okaloosa County. If your debris wasn’t picked up and you live in unincorporated Okaloosa County, please call 850-689-5772. If you live in the city, call the city in which you live. If you call the 311 Citizens Information Line, select Public Works Department.